Just last week, the National Environment Agency (NEA) announced that they are exploring using heat pump water heaters in high rise residences – condominiums and HDB units. AOS bath was interviewed to provide more information on these energy-saving heat pump water heating systems, which are at the forefront of cutting edge water heater technologies in Singapore.
As reported on Channel News Asia Singapore, while conventional electric or gas water heaters consume about 3000 watts of power, heat pump water heaters use merely 210 watts. The energy savings from using a heat pump play a significant role in lowering your monthly electrical bills.
Percentage of Household Energy Consumption by Water Heaters in Singapore
In 2012, water heaters placed as the second most energy draining appliance after air conditioners, with average water heating costs amounting to about 20.9% of total energy consumption in Singapore.
Singapore Electric Water Heater vs Heat Pump Water Heater Energy Consumption
As with most green technologies, the biggest hurdle for home owners is the upfront cost of heat pump water heaters. While conventional water heaters cost around $400, the cost of heat pumps are in the $2000 range. However, with energy savings of about $600 a year for a family of 4, this cost is easily recouped in about 2 to 3 years. Buying more energy efficient appliances can save you money in the medium to long run.
Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister of the Environment and Water Resources on Co-creating Sustainable Growth
“Quite frankly, people will save money in the medium to long run if they buy more energy-efficient appliances, whether it is air-conditioners, refrigerators, washing machines and the like. We also need to encourage people to look beyond the initial sticker price to the total cost of ownership.”
-Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister of the Environment and Water Resources on Co-creating sustainable growth.
Other Useful Links
- Channel News Asia Full Article: Authorities exploring use of heat pump water heaters in Singapore homes
- Speech by Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for the Environment and Water Resources, Committee of Supply Debate, 12 March 2013
- Micro Heat Pump Water Heaters for HDB|
- Heat Pumps for Private Homes
Latest posts by Amanda Zhong (see all)
- 3 Best Water Heaters in Singapore for Problem Solving - July 28, 2020
- Solution: My Drain Pipe is Higher than the Relief Valve! - June 22, 2020
- How to Maintain Your Heater so it Lasts 25 Years - May 20, 2020